Our Rubbermaid FastTrack articles get a lot of visits from people who want to buy the system for garage storage. The answers in this article should help you decide on how to buy your FastTrack.
- What is the weight capacity of the Rubbermaid FastTrack?
- How to Install the Rubbermaid FastTrack in Your Garage?
- What are the different types of Rubbermaid FastTrack systems available?
- How do I choose the right Rubbermaid FastTrack system for my needs?
- What accessories are available for Rubbermaid FastTrack?
- Can Rubbermaid FastTrack be used to store heavy items, such as tools and sports equipment?
- Is Rubbermaid FastTrack easy to use?
- Can Rubbermaid FastTrack be used to store items in my closet or pantry?
- Is Rubbermaid FastTrack easy to install, even for those with limited DIY skills?
You might also want to read our articles: The Best Way to Start-Off Your Rubbermaid FastTrack Storage, A Complete Guide to the RubberMaid FastTrack Storage System
What is the weight capacity of Rubbermaid FastTrack?
- A FastTrack system installed into the garage wall studs carries up to 1,750 pounds.
- The FastTrack rail is the backbone of the system, and it is capable of supporting up to 175 pounds per linear foot. The weight capacity of your specific setup will depend on the length of the rail, the number of supports, and the load distribution along the rail.
- FastTrack uprights support the rail and accessories. Uprights support up to 175 pounds.
- Rubbermaid FastTrack shelving is available in different sizes and materials, including wire and solid shelving. The weight capacity of each shelf will depend on its size, material, and the spacing of the supports. Wire shelves support up to 50 pounds. Solid shelves support up to 75 pounds.
- Rubbermaid FastTrack baskets and hooks are designed to be used with the system to store items of different sizes and weights. Hooks support up to 50 pounds. Baskets support up to 25 pounds.
How to Install the Rubbermaid FastTrack in Your Garage
Here are the tools, parts, and steps you need to install the Rubbermaid FastTrack organization system in your garage.
Rubbermaid FastTrack Installation Tools
You will need these tools:
- a stud finder
- a drill
- drill bits
- a level
- a tape measure
Rubbermaid FastTrack Installation Parts
The complete FastTrack system has three parts:
- Rubbermaid FastTrack rails
- Rubbermaid FastTrack brackets
- Rubbermaid FastTrack accessories (hooks and baskets)
- Rubbermaid FastTrack shelves
Garage Measurements to Install the Rubbermaid FastTrack
The FastTrack rail can travel the entire width of the garage wall, if that space is clear for installation. The width limitation is only in the studs, because you want to install the rails into studs and not just drywall. The installation area’s width will determine how many rails you can install.
The brackets are 17 inches tall. You can more than one set of brackets to mount multiple FastTrack systems. Just be aware of stuff hanging on one rail failing in front of a rail underneath.
Rubbermaid FastTrack Placement Choices
Think about what you’re storing on the system to decide where you will put the rails. Brooms and rakes will need height so they don’t hit the floor. If you store the kids’ helmets on a tall rail, they might not be able to reach them. You might sketch out the rail and categorize what you will use the rail for to decide where you will put the system.
Install the Brackets
Install the brackets in the garage wall studs. These will be 16 in. or 24 in. apart. Use the level to install the screws at the same height.
Back out the screws, and put the brackets over the pilot holes. Use the drill to screw the brackets to the wall.
Install the Rails
Slide the rails onto the brackets. Give the rails a good tug to make sure they are properly seated.
Add the Hooks and Baskets
At the back of each accessory is a lip that hangs over the rail. Put the hook or basket’s lip onto the rail where you want to install it. Once it catches the rail, push down on the accessory so that it’s flat against the rail.
After the hooks are installed, you can slide them left and right to new positions.
What are the different types of Rubbermaid FastTrack systems available?
Rubbermaid sells three kits that include rails. The Garage Hang Rail comes in two sizes. The rails are 48 in. and 84 in. The Garage Bike Kit has a 32 in. rail. The Garage Kit has 2 32 in. rails.
|Rubbermaid FastTrack Systems|
|FastTrack Rail Garage Hang Rail 48 in.||1 x 48 in.|
|FastTrack Rail Garage Hang Rail 84 in.||1 x 84 in.|
|FastTrack Rail Garage Bike Kit||1 x 32 in. rail||2 vertical bike hooks|
|FastTrack Rail Garage Kit||2 x 32 in. rails||(1) Power Tool Holder, (1) Utility Hook, (1) Multi-Purpose Hook and (1) Dual-Handle Hook|
How do I choose the right Rubbermaid FastTrack system for my needs?
The way to choose the right FastTrack is to figure out how much rail you need. To meet your storage needs, follow these steps:
- list the items you want to store on the FastTrack
- count up how many items there are, so you can decide which hooks and baskets to buy
- figure how wide each item is so you can estimate how many items you will be able to hang on each rail.
- Figure how much rail width you need based on step 3 above. See the example below.
For example, suppose you want to store the following items:
- 1 broom
- 1 rake
- 1 shovel
- 1 edger
These items are narrow. They barely take up any room on the rail. You could get the shortest rail and have room left over. So you want one of the shorter rails, the FastTrack Rail Garage hang Rail (1 x 48 in.). Then search for the hooks for holding long items (the dual handle hook will work well here).
For another example, you want to store these items:
- 1 broom
- 1 rake
- 1 shovel
- 1 edger
- 1 ladder
- 2 hoses
- 2 bicycles
The broom, rake, shovel and edger will take only a small amount of the 48 in. rail. You could add the ladder and hoses to this rail. But the bicycles will be too wide to fit. So you would get the Rail Garage Bike Kit which comes with 32 in. of rail and two bike hooks.
What accessories are available for Rubbermaid FastTrack?
FastTrack accessories include specialized hooks, shelves, and baskets. You can find all the accessories in our article: A Complete Guide to the RubberMaid FastTrack Storage System
Can Rubbermaid FastTrack be used to store heavy items, such as tools and sports equipment?
Yes, Rubbermaid FastTrack can be used to store heavy items such as tools and sports equipment. You install the rails in the studs for security. The system holds up to 1,750 pounds of your stuff.
Shelves hold up to 350 lb. Hooks carry 50 to 75 lb., and the baskets carry 50 lb.
Is Rubbermaid FastTrack easy to use?
Rubbermaid FastTrack is easy to use because of how the hooks work.
To install a hook, put the lip at the top of the hook on the rail and then push down to snap it into place. To move a hook, slide it to the left or right. So that’s pretty easy.
Can Rubbermaid FastTrack be used to store items in my closet or pantry?
Rubbermaid FastTrack can be used to store some pantry and closet items, but not everything. Use the FastTrack to store clothing and brooms. You can put cleaning equipment in baskets, but the baskets are not big enough to contain a household’s entire collection of cleaning gear.
Is Rubbermaid FastTrack easy to install, even for those with limited DIY skills?
The skills you need to install a FastTrack system are:
- find the studs in your garage wall
- use a power drill to create a pilot hole
- place the vertical bracket straight up and down over the hole
- use the level and a tape measure to drill the corresponding hole for the second rail
- All tasks after this do not require tools