Can you get a significant temperature change with garage door insulation? Yes, I’ve seen users get a 43 deg. drop from the Arizona sun, and a 20 deg. rise in a Michigan winter garage.
You can get significant relief from a garage that is too hot or too cold. Garage doors do best with insulation created for the door material. Here are the best metal and the best wood garage door insulation kits. The best garage door insulation kits are Owens-Corning and SmartGARAGE.
Just Assume You Need the Tape
What You'll Learn
In just about every insulation kit I researched, users said to buy Gorilla Tape to augment the kit’s adhesive.
Assume you’ll need tape for your garage door insulation
Insulation Weight Can Change the Door’s Balance
Special Note! A healthy door can handle these kits with ease. But if your garage door is already out of balance, adding insulation weight can literally tip that balance. Check your door’s balance before proceeding! (opens in new window, scroll down to “You Might Have to Rebalance the Door” if this link stalls at the top of the page)
The Best Metal Garage Door Insulation Kit
The Owens-Corning R-8 is the best metal door insulation kit.
Why We Like the Owens Corning Kit
The Owens Corning 500824 Insulation Kit is the best metal garage door pre-cut insulation system.
The kit comes with eight insulation panels that are 22 in. x 54 in. each.
They cover a door up to 9 ft. wide and 7 ft 8 in. high.
The insulation fits into the metal door’s exposed panels.
A covered door will keep out cold and heat.
It’s a great noise reducer as well.
- 5 times better thermal performance, compared to an uninsulated door
- As much as 20% reduction in perceived noise level
- Installs in less than 1 hour (up to 9' door) - Only tools needed for installation are tape measure, utility knife, straight-edge and marker
- The Garage Door Insulation Kit is designed for use on uninsulated metal garage doors. Flexible material resists denting
- Cleanable vinyl surface (w/mild detergent)
Best Wood Garage Door Insulation Kit
The IMP SmartGARAGE Reflective Garage Door Insulation Kit is the best garage door insulation kit for wood doors.
Because metal and wood doors have different panel shapes, the Owens isn’t the best choice for wood doors.
But while you cannot use the Owens on wood doors, you can use this SmartGARAGE on a metal door.
This SmartGARAGE has an R-6 value and an excellent reputation.
Many customers are reporting well in excess of the 8 degree change that’s mentioned on the box.
The SmartGARAGE kit will keep your garage warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Customers have reported 30 deg. F. improvements in their garage temperature.
Read this Before Supplementing with Foam
Special Note! Many customers report putting foam panels up and then this kit.
Not all foam panels are safe for garage door insulation!
They can be extremely flammable. This SmartGARAGE kit is a safe material.
Depending on what you get, foam supplementation panels might not be safe for garage doors.
To learn more, read our insulation article.
- HEAVY DUTY DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE - comes with new and improved heavy duty double-sided tape, this tape can be used in Extreme hot and cold climates.
- ADDED VALUES - VAPOR BARRIER - Unaffected by humidity and moisture, mold resistant, SOUND BARRIER - excellent Sound Deadener. TEMPERATURE CONTROL- reduce the inside garage temperature by 8 degrees in summer and turn it into a comfortable place, Saves heating costs in winter, reduces heat loss through the garage.
- EASY TO INSTALL- easy to install, very clean, finished look, Non toxic / Non carcinogenic. PLEASE SEE THE INSTALLATION VEDIO:www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded