Let’s Get One Thing Straight
The Kevlar gloves below are bulky but protective, with no guarantee against slicing. Angle grinders cut cement, so we can expect that kitchen gloves are not going to stop an angle grinder blade. Angle grinders are dangerous. Kevlar sharp gloves protect against knife cuts. They do not protect against punctures (think steel wire brushes) and spinning blades.
Some believe that angle grinders are as dangerous a tool as you can use in the garage: Angle Grinder Safety (opens in new window on ProChoice Australia site). But even that article’s publisher is not selling angle grinder safety gloves. That article takes you to “cut resistant” gloves which are not angle grinder safe.
Here’s a guy who brags that he doesn’t use safety equipment when using the angle grinder. I’ll say before you read it, I think he’s stupid.
Question: Default What Kind of Gloves and Apron for Angle Grinder Safety?
“I’ve been reading about the horrors of angle grinder accidents, and I learned that the fragments can go through clothes and welding gloves. Here’s what I’m wondering: what are you supposed to wear on your hands and body, if welding gloves won’t do it? I was thinking I might get a kevlar cut-resistant apron and some kevlar fillet gloves.”
“I typically wear a short-sleeve t-shirt with a couple of holes in it, and do my best to look away if the sparks start to hit my face directly.”
How stupid is he: very stupid? Or extremely stupid?
What About Dexterity?
There is a dexterity argument against gloves. Some want to feel what they’re doing at the wheel, and be able to move in accordance with their perception. OK, I can understand this argument. It’s one thing for a professional to make a safety choice using thought and logic. It’s another thing for an ape to brag about being tougher than a spinning cut blade. And it’s a third thing for an occasional angle grinder user to pretend that angle grinders are no big deal.
What’s the Answer?
Protect yourself as well as possible, use the machine correctly, and don’t assume your gear is slice proof.
The Best Safety Goggles
I chose the DeWalt safety goggles for their quality materials, ventilation channels, soft rubber, and tough lenses. The ventilation gives your eyes some fresh air while protecting them from sparks, flying debris, and dust. The ventilation also reduces lens fog. The rubber does a good job comfortably conforming to your face, so nothing gets in, but the goggles don’t pinch you either. The anti-fog and anti-scratch lenses stay clear enough for you to see over time. If you need your regular glasses, you can put these goggles on right over them. These are the goggles that are ANSI and OSHA approved. Check them out below.
- Dual Mold Goggles
- Meets ANSI Z87. 1 Standards
- 99. 9% UV Protection
- Clear Anti-Fog lens
- Risk-free Purchase: Totally tailored for your DEWALT DPG82-11/DPG82-21 Goggle and we offer 100% Money back Guarantee If there are quality problems.
- Safety: Hard EVA Material is Shockproof, Dustproof and Waterproof to protect your DEWALT DPG82-11 Goggle from impacts and splashes.
- Super Convenient: Comes with comfortable hand strap to carry easily and roomy to contain other small accessories.
- Luxury and Fashionable: Build-in super quality villus reflects superior taste and ensures a long-lasting performance.
- Considerable Design: Smooth but strong zipper gives you a better using experience. 360° Zip is convenient for you to put your glass in and out the case.
Best Spark and Sharp Protection Gloves
One glove can protect you from both sparks and cuts. So I thought, what do blacksmiths wear for gloves? What about mechanics and welders? The Rapicca are crazy good Kevlar and fire retardant gloves. They go all the way up the arm, because forearms are flammable, too. What Rapicca calls “extremely heat resistant” is a modest description of the 932 deg. F. protection. Check them out below.
- 【REINFORCED DOUBLE LAYER KEVLAER PADDING ON FINGER,PALM,ELBOW & BACK】:RAPICCA is the only brand which offer Double Reinforced Kevlar Layer Pading on both Fingers, Palms, Elbow& Backs on our welding gloves, this excellent design make RAPICCA welding gloves being the most extreme heat resistant gloves on the market.
- 【EXTREME FOUR LAYER HEAT RESISTANT PROTECTION】 Outermost layer: Double layer kevlar padding leather. Intermediate layer: a composite product by laminating a kind of high temperature resistant Air-isolated Aluminum Foil and a flame retardant cotton cloth . Inner layer:a 100% soft insulated cotton lining. Flame retardant thread stitching for advanced heat and cold resistance, sweat absorbent, breathable, allergy free. These gloves are guaranteed to withstand extreme temperatures up to 932°F(500℃)
- 【SUPERIOR SECURITY FOR FORERAMS】 - The 16 inches extra long glove with 7.5 inches long sleeve protect your forearms from grinding debris, welding sparks, hot coals and open flames, hot kitchen ware and hot steam. Effective even in extreme environments. Recommended for Stick welding (SMAW), Mig welding (GMAW), Flux-Core welding (FCAW), forging or other high temperature applications, Provide the most extreme heat protection.
- 【EXTREME WEAR RESISTANT PROTECTION】- The Gloves are made from 1.5mm thick and soft shoulder split natural cowhide leather which is heat resistant, wear-resistant, puncture resistant, cut resistant, oil resistant. Reinforced double leather stitching and high strength sewing on the finger, palm, elbow & back of the hand which is not easy to fall off.
- 【SATISFACTION GUARANTEE】——We back up our claim that this glove is the best on the market. You can rest easy with your purchase. If there is any issue or advice for our products, please email us via Amazon email, we will offer 100% satisfactory service for you.